Arts & Heritage
- Category: Services
Operating from two main sites – Touchstones Rochdale and the Arts & Heritage Resource Centre, Link4Life’s Arts & Heritage Service delivers an exciting, dynamic, cultural offer raising confidence, self-esteem and aspirations. This proactive offer instigates a pathway to a life long engagement with learning and participation with its associated positive benefits to long term health and well being.
The Service also promotes the Borough and its attractions and events. It does this by raising the profile of the Borough through delivering and supporting a exciting cultural programme, including exhibitions, events and activities and through Visitor Information.
The Arts & Heritage Service is responsible also for the development, acquisition, care, conservation, documentation and promotion of the Rochdale Borough Collections: Art Gallery, Museum and Local Studies and Archives.
The Service is also responsible for local history collections at Heywood and Middleton Libraries, outreach displays and visitor information points in numerous community venues together with a Boroughwide Education Service and Arts Development.
Participating in arts and heritage raises confidence, self-esteem and aspirations. This engaging offer instigates a pathway to a life long engagement with learning and participation with its associated positive benefits to long term health and well being.
Our dynamic offer comprises of:
Link4Life aims that Rochdale Borough is a thriving place in which accessible, quality arts can flourish and participation in the arts is open to everyone.
The Arts & Heritage Service does this by:
- Initiating and/or supporting projects which focus on access to the arts through participation.
- Initiating and supporting events and event development and delivery.
- Working in partnership with different council services and other agencies to address personal and social issues in the lives of people of all ages, cultural backgrounds, abilities and lifestyles.
- Giving information and advice to members of the general public about activities, project opportunities, involvement and training
- Promoting the value of the arts.
- Advising and supporting arts organisations and artists to reach their goals in the arts development field including working closely with and giving revenue support to Voluntary Sector Arts Organisations in the borough, which aim to engage people in creative experiences
- Management and curation of the Art Gallery at Touchstones Rochdale which consists of four gallery spaces: one for the Borough's impressive collections, two for the best in visiting contemporary art, craft and design and a dedicated community gallery, Gallery One.
- Collect, care, documentation, conservation and promotion of the Art collection of RMBC
- Outreach, activities and events relating to the Art Gallery exhibitions and collections including outreach display cases at Heywood Library and Middleton Arena.
- Exhibit and interpret contemporary art and craft, support local artists and community groups through the dedicated community gallery(Gallery One) in association with the Gallery One Community Panel.
Life Long Learning
- Deliver and develop both informal and formal learning linked to the collections, exhibitions and participatory arts developing pathways onto a life long engagement with arts & heritage for the mutual long term benefit of participants.
- Delivery of school workshops and loan box service.
- Encourage volunteering in arts & heritage.
- Management and promotion of museum and Heritage Gallery at Touchstones Rochdale
- Collect, care, documentation, conservation and promotion of the museum collection of RMBC
- Outreach, activities and events relating to the Museum display and collections including outreach display cases at Heywood Library and Middleton Arena.
- Collect, care, documentation, conservation and promotion of Local Studies and archive collections
- Management of Local Studies collections, activities, displays and events around the Borough including two satellite Local Studies Libraries at Heywood and Middleton Libraries
- Support Rochdale Library service in Local Studies
- Management of the Local Studies Centre at Touchstones Rochdale
- Front of House services
- Visitor Information Centre (Touchstones Rochdale) providing a focus for all Boroughwide and regional information re: tourist attractions and events.
- To promote the Borough and its attractions and events
- Support RMBC in raising the profile of the Borough and developing and promoting quality tourism products
- Facility Management- including building maintenance, meeting and conference services
- Health & Safety
Digital Engagement and Access
- Access and engagement with Arts & Heritage is further developed and enhanced through promoting digital access including through the use of social media, the internet, online collections database and the digitisation of the collections.
National & Regional Context
The Service proactively seeks to engage with national and regional strategies, programmes and events including the 'Prosperity for all: the Greater Manchester Strategy', Cultural Olympiad, Torch Relay, International Year of Cooperatives 2012. This is achieved through the exhibition and events programme and through working in partnership with Sport & Leisure and Neighbourhood & Communities within Link4Life and other cultural providers to deliver a holistic cultural offer.
The Service engages with National and Regional organisations including:
- Association of Greater Manchester Authorities (AGMA),
- Chief Leisure Officers Group (CLOG)
- Arts Council England (ACE)
- Museums, Libraries and Archives (MLA) now ACE.
- North West Development Agency (NWDA)
- Marketing Manchester
- All About Audiences
- The National Archive (TNA)
- Renaissance North West
- North West Federation of Museums
- North West Regional Archives Council (NWRAC).
- Group for Education in Museums (GEM)
- Greater Manchester Archivists Group (GMAG)
- Greater Manchester Museums Group (GMMG) (formerly Forum)
- Greater Manchester Arts Officers Network
- Greater Manchester Tourist Information Centres
- Museums Association