Leisure and Community Development
- Category: Services
The Leisure & Community Development Service is made up of two teams - Sport & Leisure and Neighbourhood & Communities. The primary functions of the service are to:
- Encourage people, particularly the young, to lead healthy, active lifestyles
- Identify market gaps and plan approaches to attract new business/users which lead to increased income
- Lead on developing key partnerships with other organisations
- Support others to provide local opportunities in sport
- Support cross sector working within Leisure & Community Development and Arts & Heritage services within Link4Life.
Neighbourhood and Communities
Neighbourhood and Communities' services are delivered through a 'needs-based assessment' approach taking account of local data from the joint strategic needs assessments and local consultation undertaken with residents, internal and external partner agencies, across the following three main areas:
Health & Well Being
- Targeted interventions to improve the physical and mental health and well being of the Borough's residents, addressing the major causes of ill-health identified in the local Joint Strategic Needs Analysis and 'Narrowing The Gap in Health Inequalities' with particular focus on the sedentary communities across the Borough.
- Development of structured pathways for people to get involved and stay involved in sport, active leisure and physical activity.
Community Support & Capacity Building
- Recruitment, training and support of adult and young volunteers in sport eg leadership training.
- Support to voluntary sports clubs and community organisations to improve capacity and standards including administration, coaching standards and coach education, Health and Safety and Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults.
Sport & Physical Activity for Young People
- Provision of opportunities for informal participation in sport, leisure and cultural activities and services by children & young people across the borough through the provision of Go4it Clubs in each of the townships.
- Provision of a structured school sport coaching programme across the borough through partnership funding with the two school sports partnerships, national governing bodies of sport and the Sportivate programme.
- Development of sports specific programmes during curriculum and holiday periods all year round in Basketball, Netball, Tennis, Cricket and Rugby.
- Development of pathways in structured sports activities from participation through all levels of performance to elite standard through the support of local clubs and national governing bodies of sport.
- Development of a structured programme of sports, arts and crafts with the Extended Schools Service.
- Development of a joint programme of delivery with the Healthy Schools programme.
Sport & Leisure
The Sport & Leisure Service operates a wide and diverse range of facilities and services including:
- Bowlee Park Sports Centre
- Castleton Swimming Pool
- Heywood Civic Centre
- Heywood Sports Village
- Hollingworth Lake Water Activity Centre
- Kingsway Park Sports Centre & Athletics Arena
- Littleborough Sports Centre
- Marland Golf Course
- Middleton Arena
- Rochdale Leisure Centre
- St Mary's Artificial Turf Pitch
We also work to develop new facilities in the Borough ensuring they are fit for purpose and available for the local community.
The Team recognises the importance of partnership working with public, private and third sector organisations on key national and local priorities, and will proactively engage with a wide range of partners from within the Borough of Rochdale and across the region.
The service has a key role to play in helping to improve accessibility and contribute to improved health outcomes for a wide variety of groups including children and young people, older persons and those from vulnerable communities. Key partners include:
- NHS Heywood, Middleton & Rochdale
- Pennine Acute Hospitals Trust
- Pennine Care
- RMBC Youth Services
- RMBC Children's Social Care
- Children's Trust
- Rochdale Borough Council for Voluntary Service
- Community Centres
- Rochdale Boroughwide Housing
- Housing Associations
- Schools and Colleges